October 19, 2008

Odd Days

I guess you can tell when you miss something when little things make those thoughts spring to your mind. I was checking my email this morning and had received a notice that rapha has some new stuff in stock for their winter cycling line, and all I can think about now is the repetitive sounds of the hubs spinning and the background feeling of the wind blowing by. I guess that seeing the images of people actually cycling makes me feel like I am missing something more than occasionally seeing people roll around town on their cheap cruisers. While writing this I remember a funny thing someone told me the other day. We were walking along, I believe returning from getting a little snack or something, and I pointed out a little cat by gesturing and maybe saying something along the lines of "kitty kitty". Anyhow, I guess they thought it was pretty wierd and pointed out that they think people either love cats or don't care because you only ever hear about seeing them from people who are "cat people". I miss Izzy. Something about a little friend, like you develop in a pet, just really helps you unwind and occassionally get things off your chest. I guess these two things will just be something that keeps me going, because they are what I miss most while here.

Moving on, I think that weekends tend to be more trouble than good. Last week, as well as this one, I just feel like I get less sleep during the weekend because there is always something going on. I know that I have a choice about going to do these things, but usually doing them is more exciting and impactful on my life. I think I just wish that I could do it all and still get my rest without wasting away a day sleeping...

Yesterday I ran alone for the first time here. Running, and for that matter all exercise, alone feels like a whole different experience. You don't have the companionship, which basically makes me feel like I need to push harder since you almost always feel like you've done enough quicker. Without someone else to basically urge you on, it becomes much more important to make yourself push on. I guess that it becomes a very small way of looking at life. You have to make yourself do what you know you need to/should do. Perhaps if more people could motivate themselves to get going, to start every day with exercise or mental challenge, perhaps we would be a much better world. I guess I just feel like people need to get motivated. With that sum up, I am going to go do something, perhaps it is time you get up and go out into the world too.

No comments: