October 30, 2008

Accomplishment?

Sometimes things just feel like they happened too quickly. During the progression of our most recent project, I continually find myself comparing what I am working on with the evolution of everyone else's projects. I know it is silly to do this, since everyone works in their own way and in fact many will end up doing a couple of things while they try to resolve the problem in their head. I just feel kind of silly when I stumble upon something I want to do so early into the work. It isn't so bad now, seeing as our project is due in a few days (days that I have slowly worked on my project, thinking steps through more laboriously) yet the actual project was mostly realized within the first week. I guess I just am not sure whether my project will end up working as well as I hope when surrounded by the work of everyone else. It is silly to worry though, because as long as I have my project do what I want, everyone else should have the expected response. Sometimes you just need to move past the doubts.

In other news, drawing is back in full swing. I, perhaps like many, usually find myself getting rusty with actual drawing if I don't do it for awhile. My brain just likes to focus on every minute detail, try to pass off images like they were photographs. The problem is that I, again like many, am not a machine. I can't create an image that perfectly replicates a moment of time, so instead you try to create a feeling, a grasp at the image. These rougher sketches are indeed wonderful because it becomes possible to capture the emotion or idea of your subject. I just am happy that I can make the pictures work again, now that my cobwebs are cleaned away.

P.S. Take a moment and draw something without looking at your paper. Be happy with your result, because if you learn anything, it can't be a failure.

No comments: