November 3, 2008

A Welcome Escape

Over the last two weeks we have been working on a project, and like most projects it was getting a little hectic as the procrastination turned to desperation for many. In fact, quite a few of my classmates were burning the midnight oil last night to be ready for the critiques today. I on the other hand had a very relaxed weekend. It was really nice to be able to sit back and do nothing, but I started to feel really lazy and finally decided to go for an exploratory walk. My friend David and I traveled over through Trastevere and up to the large park on the hill, a place we had previously visited during one of the drawing adventures taught by one of the professors here. On a mindless, timeless wander we walked all around the park, taking in the sights as well as just being free of the city.

Growing up in Washington, I am used to plants being everywhere (especially when in rural areas like my parents' house), and so being in this concrete sprawl starts to get me down. I think that may be why I liked walking through the park so much, that and the fact that I didn't want to sit around all day like some people do. There were quite a few people going through the park and I again think about trying to come out here to run, despite the distance. Maybe I can take my backpack and carry water and some food and just be out for awhile... Anyway, we decided to leave through one of the other entrances and see what the non-center of Rome is like. Much like going to Lake-City Seattle, this part of town just feels a little less cared for, a little less of a place to hang out. It was interesting walking back toward town with just an idea of where to head and also nothing in the way of sidewalks to keep you away from cars. Despite those odds, we made it back just fine. I enjoyed my escape from the city as well as just an escape from thinking about everything that has been going on. Much like meditating, it was nice to just be out in the woods.
I miss cycling.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

yeah, the bleakness of the centro can be slightly overbearing at times... have you been up to the Villa Borghese? It's as close to Central Park as the Romans get...