November 14, 2008

Lucky Strike

Today, despite a rather late start (8am!) I got myself around and did a good morning jog. Funny that just yesterday I was writing about finding treasure that lifts your spirits and makes your day because on this morning's run along the Tiber I found my attention drawn to a bright colored pile of fabric in the mud along the trail. Curious as I am I went over to investigate. Small zipper... Rainbow ringed sleeve? As I cautiously picked up my find I was shocked to find out it was a cycling jersey! Dirty of course, but a cool find none-the-less. I decided it would be mine, yet I wanted to continue my exercise so that I can be in maintained form for when I can actually ride a bicycle again, let alone don a jersey. So, after carefully setting the prize on the side of the trail (making sure it wasn't super noticeable - it is mine now after all and I don't want someone else stumbling across it) I continued on my way. Despite my attempt to clear my head as I ran on down the trail, my thoughts were continually pulled back to the jersey. "What size is it?" I wondered, "what does it actually look like minus the muck?". I forced myself to continue until the usual turn-around point and as I came back to my new prize I was relieved that it was still there. I figured out a sort of awkward but effective way of holding it and maintaining my ability to run, and made the rest of my exercise while clutching the treasure. Once home I attempted to clean it up so that I could find my answers. To my delight it is a medium, and it appears to be a world-champion look jersey but with a large print in the middle that is some man and words (his name maybe) and 1996. I would like to find out what the words actually mean, but it will have to wait. Anyway, I threw it in the wash to ensure cleanliness before putting it on, bit I am definitely excited. Obviously, this is just a cool coincidence, but to me it felt like a sign that cycling misses me too.

Speaking of cycling, I recently added NYCBikeSnob to the blogs I follow (a pretty widespread and popular blogger) and this it will be nice to gather news from his point of view (urban) as well as from bicycling.com which keeps me up to date on the racing side. I can't wait to be back to riding, and am intrigued to see how my riding life changes with the relocation to Seattle. Now I just need to find a good place to buy others jerseys such that I can gather more for myself as well and for gifts. Still, psyched about my find today and can't wait to see it all cleaned up!

No comments: