November 17, 2008

Plodding Along & Feeling the Need

So, this weekend was long and enjoyable because we were down to a skeleton crew of housemates, luckily the ones who seem to be responsible adults. However, at the same time it was a little frustrating because I was ready to start working on my project but since I had made it through the last talk with just ideas, I felt I needed to get permission (if you will) to actually start making hard progress. So, instead of working in the studio for hours and making progress like some of my classmates, I instead was forced to continually re-draw my little idea diagram and explain things to myself about what I wanted to do. I know this is indeed progress, but not quite the solid evidence I wanted. Oh well, today during my meeting I was given the green-light so now the floods of creativity and work can flow out. I guess.

The other side of my current progression here is that I am more and more feeling the desire to be on my bike. I think most of this is probably my fault since I have been reading about the cycling world and blogs about cycling much more now than in the early part of the program. I also find myself window-shopping websites for things that I want (partly because the holiday season is approaching). I only have a month to go until I could begin riding again at home, but it will be the middle of December, so we will see how much actually gets done. It is unfortunate that I missed some wonderful riding time, but I feel good knowing that I am doing a good job staying in shape so that I should be able to jump back into the game much quicker than even entering last year. I also feel happy that I now have this outlet from which I can let others know what I see and experience once I actually get back to the real world. "The Real World", funny that I heard one of my classmates refer to life back in Seattle as that this morning. It is true that we feel distanced and not quite ourselves here in Rome. Still, I am excited to return to the normal life that I have at home, even though I will lose the grandeur of this city, this place of so much history. Ok, that's enough of my mind getting lost. Hope you all are enjoying your lives, and I look forward to seeing everyone in a month.

No comments: