December 5, 2012

MFG #1 - Finn Hill Park

Well, the 2012 CX season has officially begun (not including the labor-day CX race which is more of a kick in the butt to get ready). Sunday the 9th was the first MFG race of the year and as usual was run at Big Finn Hill park in Juanita. Due to some construction and park changes the course was a little different this year but still contained the main features of this park; dry bumpy grass, some technical single track, and a fast paved finish track. This year is a little different for me as Stephen Berard will be also racing the open 3s and I get a little more yellow course buddies through Jenny Dallas racing single-speed ladies. Always nice to have some more of us out there! I am also racing this year on the Independent Fabrication Planet-X frame that I snagged last winter. I am excited to be back on steel after last year (don't get me wrong, the Van Dessel Gin&Trombones is an awesome bike, I just prefer the ride that steel offers). I should post some shots of the bike for the next post. I am very happy with the set-up, and think it should offer consistent performance all season long.

Onto the race-
Steve got a great call-up and started front row while I ended up in the 3rd row for the start. Not too bad considering our large field. Going into the first corner hole-shot Steve maintained a great spot up front and I managed to squeeze into roughly 15th or so through the corner. Laying on the gas I managed to push into the top 10 during the upper grass fields. On the short uphill climb I put in a strong push and joined the lead group of 5 who were just falling off the leader. We continued to sit about 10 seconds off the leader starting the 2nd lap where I squeezed to 4th, then 3rd, and finally moved to 2nd. I continued to work on the front but lost sight of the leader as we began to hit the slowest of the other fields. For the majority of the next laps I was weaving through the traffic and trying to consistently apply pressure to stay in my position and hopefully run into the leader. With 2 laps to go however, the traffic was beginning to cause trouble. In a few places I could feel the nipping at my heels of the rider right behind me (turns out that 3rd and 4th was always right there, hugging my wheel to stay in contention) and we started to leap-frog in a few areas. Starting the last lap I was in 3rd, however I easily swung back to 2nd during the technical grass section. Heading through the single track we ran into some slow riders which meant we all bunched back completely together. On the other side I tried to out-distance during the few grassy corners but didn't make much ground, and heading into the hill I had to jump hard to stay with the two as they powered past. I was now in 4th place but managed to get back to 2nd through the barriers. I just needed to hold on for another few precious minutes! We were catching some more traffic heading into the last grassy corners before the straightaway. I attempted to swing around a rider through the last sharp corner but he managed to swing back and block me! Unfortunately this let the other 2 riders back in front. I put it in the big ring and chased to catch back but unfortunately the race was already done as we hit the pavement. So, ended up with a solid 4th place on this one. Still, not a bad way to start the season and next race I will have a call-up so I won't have as much traffic to deal with the first lap, hopefully meaning better results!

Congrats to my current and former teammates:
Dave Ryan - 30th place Men's 3 45+ (Keep it up!)
Jenny Dallas - 3rd place Women's Single Speed (Way to go!)
Melissa Desimone - 7th place Women's Single Speed (Wahoo!)
Stephen Berard - 12th place Men's 3 Open (Nice job!)

Hope to see some more yellow next weekend for the 1st SCX series race at Steilacoom.

Oh, and thanks to Brian at rideonphoto for the shots of the race.

No comments: