December 2, 2008

The Final Stretch

Here I am, only 8 days left in Rome. Hard to imagine that it is now December. And by that I don't just mean because the weather is so silly here that I have been walking around in a t-shirt outside no-problem. I mean more that it just seems like time has flown by. I arrived in Italy before the start of October, and while this blog didn't begin until a little while back (so you can't re-live all my experiences here) it just seems like this period of study has gone by with amazing haste. I have traveled to many places, seen many things, yet there always seems to be things that I missed, things I wish I could still do. I wonder how things would be different if I was here for even just another month. Where would I go? What things would I make an effort to do or see? At the same time, as with any away-from-home experience, I am ready to be back with the people I care about and the things I miss. I have gotten to know a group of new and unique characters, some of which I will try to continue to see back in the States (others I will be happy to hopefully never come in contact with again). I feel that my time here has been helpful to not only show me how quickly one can become acquainted with new surroundings, but also how I can do things that I wasn't sure I was ready to do. Traveling into places that are unfamiliar is always challenging, but realizing through experience that you can navigate through a new place (even one that doesn't really cater to your language) without too much trouble was amazing. I made an effort to experience new things, break out of habits, and also see artwork and architecture that is famous and incredible. And, as the days left here come to an end, I think that I made the best of my time. Sure there are things I wish I could have done, but those will always exist, and one can always hope that they have the time and financing to finish those journeys in the future. With my mind set, I look forward to my remaining days here, confident that I will be able to squeeze out the few things I have left to do. Final project, you are almost done. Chocolate shopping, give me a few hours. Home, I am on my way.

Sorry that this post seems so much of a conclusion. I guess my mind is ready and my hands just went along with the train of thought. I will keep you guys up to date as these few remaining days draw out, and I hope that I have nothing but good news left for my final posting from Europe, which I assume will be posted on Monday. Keep on reading friends, and I hope your roads continue winding.