December 13, 2012

SCX #6 Steilacoom 2

Here we are, just a few weeks left in the season. Boy that went by quickly!
Back to Steilacoom for race #6 of the Seattle Cyclocross series, this time with a new course layout and much different weather to challenge riders. Now in the middle of November, the temperature has dropped into the 40s and the course is now a complete mix of fast grass and dirt, loose gravel, oily mud, and even some deep gooey stuff. Once again the Pro/1/2 field hosted special guest Tyler Farrar to keep things interesting (although he didn't fare as well this time, finishing 12th).
As we lined up for the 2:30 race, the temperature dropped a little more and the light rain started up. Off the line I managed my best start of the season (roughly 4th off the line) and then pulled to the front for the holeshot into the weaving lines of the front section of course. As we shot into the barn area I was passed by Miles from Hammer and quickly grabbed his wheel. We worked our way over to the run up and stuck together through the climbing sections along the upper course. As we shot down into the lower section I remained tight, but the work was getting to us both and we soon had additional challengers in the form of Tyson from Mafia and the spritely Evan from JL Velo. The 4 of us worked the front for the next 2 laps before a small collision slowed Tyson and Miles. Tyson was able to recover quickly and now he and I chased after Evan who had rolled through the quickest. Miles unfortunately took longer and would lead the chase group for the rest of the race trying to bridge to us. After another short while of chasing, we caught Evan, and Tyson actually managed to jump past to take the lead.
Finally, 2 laps to go. I was working hard to stay tight to Evan as we worked through the front of the course and Tyson continued to put in distance up front. As we hit the run-up I caught up to Evan and we were neck-to-neck up to the top of the climbs. I passed Evan in the downhill and was actually able to bridge to Tyson on the front stretch. Unfortunately as we hit the tight winding section leading into the final lap Evan was once again in front of me. It was time to put in all I had. I screamed up the run up, getting to the top just as Evan did and was on the bike before he was pedalling. I threw down on the climbs and gained some ground and pushed a bigger lead on the downhill, again starting to approach Tyson, but not quite close enough to bridge up. As we hit the winding corners for the last time I was pushing to make ground as Evan started to reel me back in. Finally we hit the straight and he was breathing down my neck, however I punched it on the sprint and stayed a bike-length ahead to take 2nd for the day.
This strong showing was enough to put me back in 1st place for the series with one race remaining. I will definitely have to work hard at Monroe to keep the series, but at least I have a slight margin for the time being!
One race left - next weekend the 25th at Monroe Fairgrounds - this race is always a wet and muddy affair, so it could be a real crowd-pleaser!
Congrats on the strong showing by the Bikesale racers -
Pam Massey - 9th Place - Women's 4 Masters
David Matthews - 16th Place - Men's Singlespeed
Roy Colven - 5th Place - Men's 1/2 Masters 45+
Kevin Raymond - 17th Place - Men's 1/2 Masters 45+

No comments: