December 13, 2012

Washington State CX Championships 2012

So, it is now officially finished. The 2012 cyclocross season for Washington wrapped up this past Sunday with the State Championship races in Arlington.
Using a new part of the airport than last year (and the race earlier this season), the course featured plentiful s-curves, a short run-up, and tons of energy-sapping thick mud. The rain from the week had collected to form a few deep mud puddles, and most of the back half of the course was a churned up, wheel grabbing mud-fest.
I was hoping to have a good placing in this race, however the week of healing from my crash was thinking otherwise. I got a nice front-line start position and even had a decent start, coming into the first corner in roughly 6th position, however a small bobble over the tall log barrier in the next corner saw me fall back to about 12/13th spot. Not the best way to start a tough race.
I quickly got going and chased through the tight series of s-curves trying to keep with the lead group. After finishing the first lap I had crawled back up to 9th place and was within sight of the lead group. Over the next four tiring laps I managed to climb up to 7th place, although in the last lap I fell back to 8th and would hold that position through the finish. Not my best showing of the season, but decent given that I was coming off of injury the previous weekend. Still, I was really hoping to be part of the battle for the win. Maybe with the course change next year I can duke it out in the 1/2 race.
All-in-all I was very happy with my season this year and while narrowly missing the overall win in the SCX series, I think that winning the MFG series and almost winning the SCX series was a good sign that I am ready for the challenge of the 1/2 field. For now it is time to get back into the road mind-set and prepare for racing in 2013!
Congrats to everyone for their great results this year!

No comments: