December 13, 2012

SCX #7 Monroe Fairgrounds

Well, the main season is finally over - next weekend is the state championship and then the cross bike gets a good clean and hung up until summer (unless it gets super snowy again this year).
Monroe is a challenging course that always taxes you with mud, tons of technical corners, and a steep (although thankfully short) run-up. This year's course was a little altered from last year and removed the painfully long slog through ankle-deep mud but added some tacky but slippery mud section at the top of the run-up. With the light rain through the day and from the week prior, the sand section was well-packed and handled like a shallow banking in the corners.
I have been running a great season and was hoping to cap it off with a series win after this race as I entered with a slim lead (40 points, which would normally be tough to beat, however Monroe is double-points). As we started I again had a great position and was about 4th as we were headed into the sharp 180 to climb to the back section. This is when my race took a turn for the worse - As we slowed to make the corner, a rider tried to squeeze through on the outside despite myself being right near the tape. As a result he knocked me and my bike sideways and sliding across the gravel into the front of a truck parked near the course. OUCH!!
As I picked myself up and determined I was ok, I quickly straightened the bike and sped off to try to catch the back of the pack. Now, just like at Enumclaw, I was racing from the back to try to catch back up. From the single incident I was almost a minute behind the leaders.
Over the rest of the race I slowly picked up places and climbed up to 12th place, although in the final sprint I was a little slow to gain speed and finished a decent 13th for the day. Not great, but better than many expected given the crash. I was happy to hear that most of the riders felt really bad about seeing the crash and were happy that I was ok. I was not confronted by the rider who caused the incident however, hopefully he feels bad though. Pretty silly to push so hard at the start of a Cat 3 race with $0 on the line for the winner.
So, battered and bruised I ended up doing well enough to hold onto 2nd overall in the series, which I think is pretty nice given that this series has seen me race sick once and also have two starting-lap crashes requiring a mad-chase from the back of the field.
I just now need to heal up good and hopefully I can snag the states race next weekend to crown off the season.
Great racing was done by:

Dave Matthews - Singlespeed Men - 22nd for the day - 15th in the series!
Kevin Raymond - 1/2 Masters - 15th for the day - 21 in series
Roy Colven - 1/2 Masters - 8th for the day - 12th in the series

No comments: